Just Wait

 


Whether you are a toddler or a grown adult, waiting is hard.  I think if we're honest with ourselves, none of us like to be told that we need to wait.  Right now, everyone is waiting...waiting for life to get back to normal.  But more than likely, we're each waiting on something else as well.  

For almost 2 years, our family has been on an adoption journey.  It started with completing our homestudy and now we've been waiting to match with a brave birthmom who will choose our family for her child.  The waiting is hard and the process is completely out of our control.  At times I have been tempted to ask "Why?".  Isn't that our first inclination when things aren't going how we expected, to ask the why question?  We want to know why things aren't happening on our timeline, we had this planned out perfectly!  

Now, I believe that God can handle our why questions, He wants to hear our heart.  However, He has been teaching me through this process to change from asking why, to asking what.  Specifically, to ask "Lord, what do you have for me in this season?"  This shift in questioning has made a huge difference in how I wait.  I'm not saying it makes the waiting easier, but it opens my eyes to what God might be doing in me or around me in the midst of the waiting.  

One thing that God has graciously reminded me of is His character.  As I've asked Him to show me what He wants to teach me, He has answered with telling me who He is.  Reminding me that He is all I need, that He is faithful, steadfast, constant in His love and pursuit of me.  So today, if you're waiting on something I'd encourage you to turn to the Psalms.  To read the truth of who our Lord is and to ask Him what He wants to teach you while you wait. 

~Jillian  

Comments

Popular Posts